Medical Cannabis: Indoor Growing
by: Nima Naimi – Quality Engineering Project Manager @ PQE Group
What is a greenhouse and why do we need it?
A greenhouse is a facility intended for plant growth. Besides ensuring the perfect conditions for the growth of a plant, we can also prevent the contamination with any foreign materials. Another aspect is that having that sort of a containment area for narcotic and psychoactive substances is often required by the local authorities.
Main characteristics of a greenhouse
The thermo-hygrometric conditions are fundamental for the proliferation of plants. When designing the type of installation/construction with an environment under controlled thermo-hygrometric conditions, the following factors must be considered:
- The planimetric shape is strongly linked to the thermo-hygrometric conditions, the number of plants, water system, lamps and HVAC
- Appropriate materials and joints must be chosen in order to avoid any damage to the plants as some materials can be toxic
- Type of thermo-hygrometric monitoring equipment used and its’ adequacy and quantity with respect to the risk level of plant storage
- The setting and monitoring equipment should be placed in locations with the greatest temperature variability. The points are determined through a thermal mapping study. These points must include spots with highest and lowest value of the entire system
- Monitoring equipment must be calibrated periodically and certified to function properly. Equipment certification must be traceable at a national standard
- A proper design must meet the maintenance requirement for the system such as the time required for its execution during the production downtime
- An alert/alarm system must be put in place for critical systems to ensure the best thermo-hygrometric conditions to the plants
- An adequate fertigation system, capable of managing recipes with different time and quantity values
- A lighting system and periodic light mapping
- A backup of critical plants
Indoor growing is a method, which has demonstrated numerous benefits in medical cannabis cultivation. The knowledge and requirements describing how to construct such a facility include (among others) best practices from agriculture and engineering.
Our experts can support you through every stage of cultivation and extraction.
We will make sure you fully meet the compliance standards set in your country for greenhouses and laboratories and we will help you register your product and sell it in different countries.